The error usually came out after you refill ink on the black cartridge...there is no way you can make the printer work without resetting the ink cartridge..
Try to reset the printer using this procedure.. it will help.
1. turn offthe printer..
2. press/hold the stop/reset button..and press/hold powerbutton too..
3 while holding power button, release the stop/reset button..
4. then press the stop/reset button twice..
5. release power button..and waituntil the power button lights a steady/still green and says "idle"...
6. open the cover...take out both catridges.. then turn off the printer.
7.put back the cover then turn on...
8. now put the catridges back.. and waitfor some time to return to display menu... then try to print...
The printer may still prompt a "black ink volume unknown and color ink volume unknown" but don't worry that won't affect the operation of the printer. And you will able to use your printer, fax and scanner.
Do this every time you refill the ink of the cartridges.
If you find this solution helpful please vote on this on the YES below..thanks..